The Canadian Bureau for the Advancement of Music, (CBAM) was started after the First World War, 1918, when two soldiers returning from Europe conceived the idea of group piano lessons in the elementary school for the students at a very low cost. The two soldiers headed by a Captain Atkinson solicited the support of the music trades, piano manufacturers, gramophone manufacturers, and the sheet music publishers. They also secured the complete support of the Ministries of Education of the Provinces of Canada.
The program was introduced in 1922 in many schools across Canada. Introduced as Non-profit and extra-curricular. Before school hours, at noon and after elementary classes were finished. CBAM class piano lessons were very affordable. Private lessons are more expensive and studio group lessons available from a few companies are more expensive than the lessons via CBAM.
The Bureau was located in offices at the Canadian National Exhibition (CNE) grounds. All CNE music programs, performers etc were hired by the Bureau for the EX. This arrangement lasted until about 1990. Always non profit.
We are still active in Elementary schools. We remain non profit, and continue offering music in the home at a very moderate cost per lesson.
We have an office in Toronto, near Eglinton and Don Mills with a paid staff. We are at 40 Wynford Drive, Unit 300A. Telephone 647-352- 4015. We also have a satellite office at Rodney, Ontario where our bookkeeper lives. We have a volunteer Board of Directors to oversee the program and supervise our business activity.
Our teachers are highly motivated qualified music teachers specializing in our class format. The parents pay the teacher for the lessons and the teacher passes a rebate to the Bureau. We have drifted away from the support of the trade and the Ministries of Education. Our Board of Directors must consider a review is a priority to return to our original format.
Elizabeth Lukie, President, CBAM